Wednesday, February 20, 2013

and then there were three.

Sidenote to my pregnancy posts:  As I post I'll be completely honest about my feelings and thoughts as we ride this rollercoaster into parenthood.  I plan to use this blog as a way for me to process this journey.  Thanks for taking the time to read.

Yup, John and I are having a baby!  We're currently in the middle of our 13th week.  Expecting means our family will be expanded to four because Comet always counted as our first babe.  There are still times I say it outloud to make sure I'm not dreaming.  We are so excited!  Here's the story of us finding out :)

It was Wednesday, January 19th.  I knew it was the day that I was supposed to get my period, so silently in my head I had chosen to wait until that day to test.  I woke up at 2:15am having to pee so bad, which usually never happens to me.  I'm a sleep through the night type.  I laid in bed thinking that I knew it was my day to test and that every test tells you to use your first thing in the morning pee.  Argh.  I managed to wait until 3:15am, but just decided to do a test.  I knew I had to be so quiet because John is a light sleeper.  I didn't want to wake him up if the test was negative.  I never turn the light on in the middle of the night because even that can wake him, but testing would've been a little difficult without light.  I knew having to wait the 3 minutes to get the results might cause him to be suspicious too.  Every test recommends peeing directly on the stick and only gives small directions on the side for using a cup.  I have never had enough confidence in my peeing directly on a stick skills so I have always chosen the cup method.  I did that, plopped my first pee stick into the cup and counted.  After counting I laid the stick down and set my stopwatch.  At this point John called from the bedroom asking what I was doing.  I made up some silly excuse that I couldn't sleep.  Since he was now awake I moved my operation to the kitchen. (A little gross I know.)  When I get up in the night he usually gets up too.  He went to the bathroom and went back to bed.

As my watch went off I went to check the test.  Positive.  I remember thinking, "Now what?"  Not in a I'm scared to be pregnant, but not in a I'm ready to wake my husband way either.  I figured to help wrap my mind around the result I would take another test.  Plopped another stick in, counted and started my watch.  John called to me again from the bedroom and I tried to reassure him that I'd be back in bed soon.  The watch went off and I checked it, another positive.  It was probably time to wake my baby daddy.  I had a book saved for John called, 1001 Things It Means To Be A Dad, so I set the book and the tests out.  I told John I needed him to get out of bed.  Later he told me he was a little peeved thinking I was going to show him that it had snowed a lot or something.  I don't remember if either of us said anything I just pointed at the tests.  I think we were both so tired that we had trouble processing the thought that we were expecting.  We weren't able to sleep for a few hours after.  I remember just laying in bed talking to each other.

We were trying to conceive, but we'd heard numerous stories of it taking couples over a year to beome pregnant.  I don't think either of us expected it to work after only two months of trying, so we were pleasantly surprised :)  It was a day that neither of us will ever forget.  Our little guy/gal has been officially nicknamed the Dragon Warrior (See Kung Fu Panda).  At this point there are lots of pregnancy related topics I want to talk about, so keep your eyes peeled.      

For photos of the early morning surprise, click here:  http://thehammarfamily.shutterfly.com/pictures/4451

No comments:

Post a Comment